The Massage Therapist & Self-Employment
Most Therapists, today are self-employed. Whether you’re on commission, rent a room, or own the clinic/spa, very few of us are ‘employees.’
What are your goals of being a Massage Therapist? Short Term, and Long Term?
Many of us Graduate a Program, and dream of owning a Clinic, Health Spa, or Co-Op.
In Evolution of Your Practice, we are going to look at the things you need to know about self-employment, Clinic Ownership, Partnerships, Group Practice, Finances… everything that we weren’t taught in most programs.
Let’s get started!!
The first steps to being self-employed, and the questions you need to ask yourself, are relatively basic.
- Are you willing to take the risks involved with being self-employed? (Do you know what those risks are)?
- How much credit can you get from your suppliers?
- Where is your start-up funding coming from?
- Have you talked to your bank? Do you have a Business Plan?
- Do you want, or need, a business partner? What are their qualifications? What is their credit history? Financially, will they qualify for credit as well?
- Have you talked to a lawyer? Leases, contracts, partner agreements, commission staff, and paid employees… what are your obligations?
- Do you have emotional/ mental support? Are people telling you to ‘Go for It,’ or wait?
- Could you make more money working for someone else?
This is a reasonably straightforward exercise. It’s an intimate look at yourself, where you’ve been, where you are now, and where you want to be in the future.
- List your accomplishments to date. Education, previous work history, volunteer work, anything you can put down that you feel is an achievement.
- What are your strengths? Where do you excel? (Ex: Techniques, communication, charting).
- What are some of your weaknesses? Where do you feel you could improve? Professionally, and personally.
- How would you describe yourself?
- How would others describe you?
- Who has influenced you the most? How?
- Describe your dream practice. The room, location, employment standard. Who owns the place? Do you rent? Are you the Clinic owner? Are you commission? How many Massages a day are you doing? A week? A Month? How far in advance do you want to be booked?
The Best way to describe yourself:
- a) Get going on your own?
- b) Someone tells you what to do, and you do it?
- c) I don’t get out of my zone unless I have to?
- How I feel about other people:
- a) I love meeting new people! I can get along with everyone.
- b) I have my circle, and I’m happy. New friends are unnecessary.
- c) I am an Island. I’m good on my own thanks!
- Are You A Leader?
- a) You Bet! Most people love my plan!
- b) If someone tells me to, I can make others do things.
- c) I prefer to only help out when others need it or ask.
- Are you responsible?
- a) I take charge and follow through until the project is done.
- b) Others know more than I, so it’s ok if they just let me help.
- c) Let someone else do it. I’m busy.
- a) I prefer to have a plan, line everything up, and get others involved.
- b) If it’s confusing, I’m out. The easier, the better.
- c) Things will happen in their own time.
- What type of worker are you?
- a) I keep going until the job is done.
- b) I go hard, and when I’ve had enough, I’m done.
- c) I prefer to coast. Live and let live; it will get done… eventually.
- How are you with decisions?
- a) I can think on the fly, and everything works out.
- b) With time to think, I’m good. If I have to think fast, I question every choice I make.
- c) Let others make the decisions. I’m good either way.
- Do People trust you?
- a) I say what I mean, and I mean what I say. If I don’t know the answer, I do my best to find it, or someone who can.
- b) Most of the time, yes, but sometimes I say things to sound good.
- c) If they don’t know, why bother?
- Do you have a ‘Stick to it’ attitude?
- a) Nothing can stop me once I know what I want.
- b) I finish what I start, but only if it goes smoothly all the way.
- c) If it goes sideways at any point, I’m out!
- HealthWise, I am:
- a) Fantastic! I never get run down.
- b) Good. I have some rough days, but all in all well.
- c) I like my naps often, and regularly.
There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. This is just a starting point — a picture of today.
Self-Employment Score Key
If your answers are mostly:
A’s – You have what it takes to run a Business
B’s- A good Partner would be beneficial
C’s- You’re best off being a sole entity. Renting a room, or on commission.
Have an Awesome Day!!